Discord is a free messaging and voice-over platform where you can chat with your friend while gaming. If you love streaming games and play them often or every day then you can start a group chat or your own server to talk with multiple gamers at once. But if you want to upload any files to discord then you only have an 8MB maximum file size limit.
That’s why most of the time when users try to send larger files on Discord then they will see a message “Max file size is 8MB. Upgrade to Discord Nitro for 100MB file limit.”
If you have a Discord Nitro then you don’t have to worry about video or other files size which is less or equal to 100MB. However, for normal Discord users, it will be pretty boring to share a large file size over 8MB.
Saying that there are few methods by which you can try to bypass the discord file size limit easily without Discord Nitro. Here, we will get help from third-party applications to send compressed files on Discord.
Let’s get started.
What is the Discord Max File Size?
The maximum Discord upload limit is 8MB. You can’t upload or send any video or files higher than 8MB.
If you are sending images then it won’t bother you at all because basically, image sizes are on KB. However, if you are uploading larger videos then you will get a lot of problems with that.
But if you can break your video into smaller sizes which are almost 8MB then you are good to go. You can also decrease the quality of the video which will do a great job to lower your file size. It is basically perfect for small-length videos.
Why Does Discord Have a Larger File Size Limit?
Discord is basically for chatting with gamers or streamers from all around the world. At that moment, people can share anything in Discord groups or servers or in DM. So, to minimize the overload of data traffic on the Discord server they set a limitation for sharing files.
In other words, you can’t send larger size videos, images, or files directly. In this way, it will maintain the database of Discord and help to load the server faster.
How to Bypass Discord File Size Limit with Discord Nitro?
You can use Discord nitro subscription to bypass Discord maximum file size limit. It has a premium plan that helps you out to compress any larger videos or photos you upload.
You can buy Discord Nitro for $10 a month with a 100MB upload limit and Nitro Classic for $5 a month with a 50MB upload limit.
So, follow the following steps to use Discord Nitro and compress larger files.
Step 1: Open Discord App
First of all, open the Discord app on your PC or laptop. After that log in to your account if needed.
Step 2: Go to User Settings
Next, go to the “User settings” from the bottom left side of the screen. This is where you can access your Discord account settings section.
Step 3: Click on Discord Nitro Option
Now, click the “Discord Nitro” option from the left side in order to buy it and send larger files on DM.
Step 4: Click on Subscribe Button
After that, click on the “Subscribe” button to see its pricing and plans.
Step 5: Select a Discord Nitro Plan
Here, you can select a subscription plan which is yearly or monthly. If you go with a yearly plan then it would be cheaper.
Step 6: Select Your Payment Option
After selecting a nitro plan then choose a payment method whether credit card or other.
Step 7: Purchase Discord Nitro
Finally, make a payment and purchase a Discord nitro. Next, you will receive a confirmation email which you have to accept.
How to Bypass File Size Limit on Discord With Thrid-Party File Upload Tools?
As I already mentioned, you can’t directly bypass the Discord file size limit within the Discord unless you switch to Discord Nitro. But, you can only upload a file size of 100MB in Discord Nitro which is also less compared to larger videos.
So there are lots of file compressor tools out there that help you to convert your larger file size to smaller.
All you have to do is upload your video or file to those file compressor applications and generate a link. Once you receive your video link then copy that link and paste it to the Discord chat section. After that, Discord will automatically convert your provided link to a video.
If you are confused about what I’m talking about right now then take a look at the following video compressor tools to upload files larger than 8MB to Discord.
Note: If you are using other converters than the below-listed ones then make sure that it won’t affect your device or PC. Some of the tools or sites contain malware or virus that can steal your data as well as slow down your devices. So, better look for a good video converter or follow what I’ve listed below.
Send Large Files on Discord Without Nitro Using Imgur
Imgur is an online image hosting and sharing site from Reddit. It is a free and safe community that allows you to post your own video and images. If you have any good memes then you can share them on Imgur to get popularity.
You can upload about 200MB file size in Imgur which is quite larger than the max file limit on Discord.
The point is, if you have a larger size video that is greater than 8MB then you can upload that file to Imgur then copy your video link and paste it to Discord chat. This way, you are just copying a compressed file link, not the original size of your video to escape from file size error on Discord.
How’s that sound?
Now, let’s move to the step-by-step process for discord max file size bypass using Imgur.
Use Imgur to Bypass Discord File Size on PC
- Visit imgur.com from your browser.
- Click on New Post from the upper left corner of the screen.
- Now, click on Choose Photo/Video option from the right side.
- Next, select a video that you want to share on discord.
- Click on Embed Post under the IMG Tools section on the right side.
- Now, click on Copy Link option.
- Go back to Discord.
- Open the chat or Message and paste the copied video URL link.
Use Imgur to Bypass Discord File Size on Mobile
- Open the Imgur app on your device.
- If you are on the Imgur app then tap on the “Camera” icon from the bottom navigation section.
- Now, allow Imgur to access your device gallery or camera roll.
- After that, select a video or photo which you want to share on Discord.
- Click on the Next option.
- Now, provide your Video Post Tile and set visibility to Public.
- Once done then tap on Post in order to publish your video on Imgur.
- Go to your Imgur profile section.
- Locate and select your video.
- Tap on the three dots from the upper right corner of the video.
- Now, scroll down and tap on Copy Permalink.
- After that, open Discord.
- Open the server or User’s profile where you want to send your video.
- Next, open the chat section and paste the video link.
- Finally, send your video to your friends.
In this way, you can easily exceed file size on the discord app with the help of Imgur.
Bypass Discord File Size Limit Using Files.fm
Files.fm is basically a cloud storage and backup site that allow storage and sharing that files on any online platform. You can easily upload larger size images, videos and share them with your friends in a Discord.
The best thing about the Files.fm is that you still access your files which you have uploaded in files.fm. This means if you create an account on Files.fm and you upload your video or image files then it will be staying there forever. So, you can share the same file link over and over again to any online platform.
You can also set a password to your created file link so that others can’t access your files easily. This is the best option for you if you only want to send a larger file size with selected friends on Discord.
Now, let’s get into the steps to send videos on discord more than 8Mb using Files.fm.
Note: Files.fm is only available on Windows, macOS, and Android.
- Visit the files.fm website. For Android users, download and install the files.fm app on your device.
- You can create an account if you want to use your uploaded file in the future or skip the process.
- Now, click on Upload & Share Files option.
- Select a video file from your device.
- Next, click on the Start file upload button to send your larger file to files.fm. You can also add multiple files by selecting Add more files button.
- Wait and complete the upload process. It depends on your device performance, internet speed, and file size.
- Once the upload is complete then click on the red Save & Send link button.
- Now you can either download your file, share it on other social media sites and on Discord.
- To send your larger file size on Discord, click on the links chain icon from the upper-middle menu.
- Under the Direct Link section, copy your file link.
- Now, open Discord.
- Go to the chat section or server.
- Paste your video file link.
Bypass Discord File Size Limit Using Vimeo
Vimeo is the best place to watch the amazing video for free. It also allows you to upload your own video and share it with your friends within Vimeo.
If you want to send large files on Discord then you can simply upload the video to Vimeo and copy the link of your video and send it on Discord.
It doesn’t cost you anything charges or a monthly subscription.
- Go to the official Vimeo site for PC and download the Vimeo app for mobile.
- Create a new account on Vimeo.
- Now, click on choose files.
- Select a video file from your device or PC.
- Wait and complete the upload process.
- Once the upload is successful then click on the chain icon from the upper right side.
- There, copy the video link.
- Open your Discord.
- Go to the server or chat section where you want to send a larger size video file.
- Paste the video link and send it to your friends.
Discord File Size Limit Compressor With MiniTool MovieMaker
You can easily send the large video size on Discord without upgrading to Nitro. Simply use the MiniTool MovieMaker tool on your PC and compress the large videos or audio or images.
Just download the tool and upload the image or video which you want to reduce the size.
For that, look at the following steps.
- Open the MiniTool Video Converter tool on your PC.
- Upload the file which you want to compress.
- Cut and compress the video.
- Copy the video link and upload it to Discord.
How to Increase Maximum File Size Limitation on Discord?
As you already know Discord is very restricted about the file size limit on the app. It doesn’t accept the file size which is large than 8Mb because of its internal policy.
Maybe Discord is trying to increase the loading speed of the app by restricting the uploading file size. The smaller files load much faster than the larger size which will help the overall system to perform well and faster.
So, if you want to increase the maximum file size on Discord then you have to purchase “Discord Nitro.” It allows you to improve the performance of video chat, text chat, and voice chat features and also provides a greater file limit.
Therefore, you can buy Discord Nitro for the 100MB file size limit on Discord.
How to Send Pictures/Videos on Discord?
Sending video and pictures on Discord chat and server is a simple task.
You just need to have a compressed file size and send it to your friends. If you don’t know to reduce large video then simply scroll up and follow the various methods.
Just remember not to violate the terms and policy of Discord while sending videos or images. You may get banned from your Discord account.
Send Video on Discord from PC
- Open the Discord app on your PC.
- Click on the server or chat inbox from the upper left sidebar.
- Now, click on the “+” icon beside the message typing section.
- Next, click on the “Upload a file” option.
- After that, locate the video file and select the video to upload.
- Once you select the video, click on the “Open” button.
- Finally, add a comment and click on “Upload” to send a video.
Send Video on Discord from Mobile (Android/iOS)
- Open the Discord app on your mobile.
- Tap on “three lines” from the upper left corner.
- Select the “server or friends” profile.
- Now, tap on the “image icon” from the bottom left corner.
- Finally, select the “video or image” and tap on the blue “airplane” icon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Discord pfp Size Limit?
The Discord pfp size is 10.24MB and the actual profile picture (pfp) size on Discord is 128px X 128px.
What is Discord Server Limit?
The server limit on Discord is 100 and the members limit is 250,000 and the limit of the channel is 500.
Are There Any Bots that Can Bypass Discord File Size Limit?
There are no bots available till now to bypass the discord file size limit.
It is pretty hard for Discord users to directly upload a larger size file which is more than 8MB. If discord can increase an upload file size limit then it would be so much better.
Yes, it does have a Discord Nitro but you have to pay a monthly subscription of $4.99. It is not possible for all users to afford a nitro subscription.
So, go with the above-listed tools to bypass the discord file size limit and to easily send larger size files.
A quick tip: You can also cut your large-size video into smaller size and compress them using a video compressor and send it on Discord.
If you have any suggestions or queries related to Discord then let us know in the comment section. Also, Visit Fixing Guides for more discord-related articles.